Saturday, July 30, 2016

Exams and distractions

We just completed our 4th week - one left! Midterms came and went - leaving us a week to learn new things and get ready for the finals. I think back to the schedule at UPeace - and the three week turnover and wonder how that was ever possible.

Last weekend I went whitewater rafting with the school on the Jacques-Cartier river. It was fun, a nice sunny day to compliment the VERY cold water. I was certainly thankful for the wetsuit. The area is beautiful, giant trees and what seem like small mountains... The river is one of the multitudes that feeds the St. Lawrence River. We were told that there has been a lot more precipitation this year than usual - so we were in luck that the water levels were really high. It was a nice adventure - but unfortunately no pictures (as my camera doesn't seem like the type to swim).

Carly and I also got bikes when we got to town. Carly, of course, is super hearty and rides to and from school every day. Alas - the perpetual prairie kid - I struggle with the hills so have been riding the bus to school - and riding the bike home where the route is a bit more forgiving. We went for a ride a bit ago now - just for fun. We followed a path filled with interpretation centres that took us from down by the river up to the Plains of Abraham. I will admit that I pushed my bike up a lot of the hill, but it was a pretty journey. I love the 'shadow' sculptures that crawl up the cliffs to illustrate the text of how the British, against all odds, made it to the plains engage in battle.

Our steeds and the metal ones that are on the route.  
The trip up the hill - and the view from the top. 
I've participated in a few of the school's weekday activities. I went to Wendake, which is a Huron community near to Quebec City. The school had organized the event... so I am not sure where the actual community is - this seemed to be a tourist centre that made me somewhat uncomfortable as it seemed more a costumed representation of vagueness and stereotypes. Perhaps I just didn't understand enough of the content of the tour but ...

I also went on the tour of the Château Louis - which was the original building that is below what is now the Château Frontenac. There isn't much of the building left, as it burned down. When the Château Frontenac was built, they placed the promenade over the remains. It wasn't until recently that it was turned into a museum-ish place that could be toured.

Some of the artifacts from the Chateau Louis
It's been a lot of fun just wandering around the city. I love all the things that make the area near our house interactive and fun outside space. There are fountains and art installations all over the place. I wonder what this city is like in the winter when it isn't inundated with tourists. It seems like everywhere I end up there are interesting things to see and wander through.

These fountains are near our house. I love that there are little people shrieking with joy as they run through every time I go by. There are benches and picnic tables all around which are also filled with happy people. 
I continue to love our patio - aren't the views great? 
A Salvador Dali, a "fountain" and street performer
I LOVE these canoes! 
Construction has to be hard in hilly places. 
One of my favourite bakeries. I had a chicken potpie from here that was AMAZING. 

Tonight we went to Crépuscule - a free outdoor circus-arts show. It was great. A little scary at times, just in that make your tummy flip into knots with worry for other people's well being, kind of way. It was pretty incredible.

From the beginning of the show.
 I hope that wherever you are - summer is treating you to lovely sunny days and tasty treats.
Peace to you~

No comments:

Post a Comment