Friday, August 13, 2010

University for Peace

I am supper excited to be heading off to the University for Peace this fall. The university was established in 1980 through the United Nations. Their mission states the goal of the university is “to provide humanity with an international institution of higher education for peace with the aim of promoting among all human beings the spirit of understanding, tolerance and peaceful coexistence, to stimulate cooperation among peoples and to help lessen obstacles and threats to world peace and progress, in keeping with the noble aspirations proclaimed in the Charter of the United Nations.” Great goals!

This year I am going to be pursuing an MA in Peace Education. I am both hoping and anticipating that this program is going to be a wonderful continuation of work I have pursued, with both Canadian and international NGOs - while giving me entirely new perspectives and understandings. Reading about the professors and their diverse backgrounds has me both excited and terrified to begin!

I haven't ever been to Costa Rica before - so I am looking forward to having a few days before school begins to get my feet under me and figure out how to get around. Then comes orientation and meeting the other students who are coming from around the world!

So - off I go! It's almost time to catch my next flight.
Peace to you,
Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment