Friday, December 3, 2010

Formal, Non-formal, and Informal

I have begun my new class (the last one of the term!!) which, one week in, is fantastic! My class, Formal, non-formal and informal education: Peacebuilding actions, is taught by the incredible Ana Maria Rodino and has brought us back to learning through doing! I love it. Friday we had a guest join us, to talk about the power of filmmaking, we will have visitors who work in theatre, we're doing a field trip to a Costa Rican school - on international human rights day... loads of great things! A great way to finish off the term.

This week I moved into a new house. My first house here was great, but there were things that I was longing for - and how have! Weee. My new house has a garden and a patio!

So, this morning I sit here, looking out over plants, into the sunshine (it's not raining today!!!) preparing for my day and waiting for my Saturday morning treat to come out of the oven (yep - I moved somewhere that has a functioning oven!)


My new house also comes with a new roommate, which I think is going to be great. Helga is from Portugal and super nice. She's also a great cook, which keeps with my roomie tradition (although there are few in the world, who have the roomie touch like Tia - I can't drag her all over the world with me).

The end of term is approaching, which means visitors are coming! I am quite excited. My Dad comes 11 days, and I think we're going to have a great time. Then just before new years - I get a second treat, with the arrival of Trish! One of the advantages for sure of moving somewhere warm and near to beaches is being in a destination that people want to come to. Many of the students have been chatting about whether or not they will go home for the break. Lots of people are just too far away from 'home' to make that possible and so will be staying and some of us are just hiding from the world of snow and cold. Perhaps this makes me a poor Canadian, but I am completely content to have a winter free year every so often. (Although, when I am day after day after day of rain... I start to question that - Alberta does have beautiful sunny skies, even when bloody cold!).

My timer is about to ring, telling me to take out my treat so here's your homework, if you choose to do it... I have been craving cinnamon buns for awhile - and moving somewhere with an oven seemed like the perfect time to make them... but I don't have a recipe here. I know that there are many on the internet - but somehow recipes coming from people you know - are almost always better (plus - if you do a quick google of cinnamon bun recipes the majority of them call for either a breadmaker or frozen dough - both of which seem like cheating). So - do you have a recipe you love? Do you want to share it with me? My 'plan' with this request is to test out a few and figure out which I like best.

Anyway - I should go pull the first attempt out of the oven.
Peace to you!
diana


thanks to Owen for recipe #1 - right now, they smell great.

No comments:

Post a Comment