Saturday, June 14, 2014

Chicago (part one - which means there will be more parts...)


This past week - I had the opportunity to travel to Chicago, to celebrate a wedding of two absolutely wonderful people. One, a friend who I have know a relatively short time (but feels like someone I have know forever), and her sweet-beau who after getting to know this week - is also becoming a lifelong friend. The whole week was filled with delight, love, and joy.

Sara is someone I got to know at UPeace - she expanded my learning, challenged my understandings, encouraged me, teased me, and stretched me, and totally became one of those people who I feel gratitude for having in my life. You may remember Sara from posts like: Weekend Wandering, Festivals,  and Shouldn't have worn it swimming, to name a few. It felt like such a privilege to attend her wedding and to meet the folks who are the cast of her stories.

Those incredible people welcomed me and Tia so completely as we just fell into their world. The first day we went for Chicago deep dish pizza. Would you believe I didn't take a picture? We left for the airport at 4 am - and by supper time I didn't think of it. Anyway - no pictures. It was good, but I don't think it's something I'd want to eat often. One piece felt like eating half a pizza!

Our second day - Marty and Mele hosted a James Bond themed Bachelor/Bachelorette party - that was a riot. I had SO much fun. The invitation suggested that you dress up as your favourite Bond inspired character and join for a night of gambling and cocktails.

The fancy invite!

Going in - I was a bit nervous. I don't know how to play really any card games, much less ones where you gamble, and I wasn't sure just how "costumed" Sara's theatre friends would be...  thankfully no one new the games - so we learned together and after knowing her friends for moments, it would be impossible to find them intimidating - they're just too sweet. It was great. So - those are the pics I will put in Chicago part one. Ready?

These are the two we were gathered to celebrate. Aren't they cute?
Queen and King of hearts. Tee hee
Peace activist, but fierce when needed... 
Tia came with me - which was so much fun!
She also wins the prize for one of the most amazing outfits!
It's a totally knit 'outfit'!
Thank goodness for awesome hand-me-downs that can double as a costume
Let the games begin!
A fierce Bond moment - you want your martini prepared how?
The three dapper-dans!
A great party? or holding a glass for me? You decide (maybe both!)
I have a series of these photos. They're all hilarious.
Looking at this photo - I found myself pondering if Jason is a lefty... what do you think?
He looks a bit puzzled by his hand. I think shooting is not his thing.
There was a feast!
and of course chips for everyone!
These are our lovely hosts for the evening.

It was a great party - and a wonderful way to get to know some new folks.


peace to you ~

1 comment: