Friday, September 17, 2010

Independence and Peaceful Paint

Wow - time continues to fly. I had a break between classes, which I feel was ages ago... and really just finished.

I have promised some pictures to people so here goes!



This my new little home. I have a neighbour who lives above me who is from Toronto. It's right near the center of town, which is nice. Inside I have a little kitchen, bedroom, small living room and bathroom. Its comfortable and starting to feel like "home". My stove and shower were recently fixed, which makes it even better. Who's visiting first?


Wednesday was a national holiday this week, celebrating Independence! The following day at school one of the neighbouring elementary schools came to show off some of their traditional dance and costumes!















Since I got here, I have been listening to the marching bands practising. Joyful, although not always good, music that creeps into any space.


My classmates and I are preparing for the International Day of Peace (Sept 21st). Each year the Peace Education program prepares an activity to celebrate this day. As this year is an anniversary year for the school, we are preparing a time capsule which will be opened in 2020. We are preparing to send forward our dreams, hopes and plans for peace - in art. Today we completed the first portion of the art for the capsule, a mural made of hand-prints. Monday we will add our words, before burying it on Tuesday. Students are also creating paper cranes - our countdown is on.




Step one - the general sketch of the mural



Starting to add our hands!



Mixing more paint!!




Where we're at so far. It's looking good. I am excited for the next step. What are YOU doing for the international day of peace? There are initiatives happening all over the world!

We have just started our second class, which is the first course of our individual programs. This course is called, Peace Education: Theory and Practice. I think it is going to be great, but wowza - I don't know how I am going to keep up with this much reading. I think I had forgotten that school means giving up fiction.

I hope all is well with you!
Peace,
diana

No comments:

Post a Comment