Thursday, October 11, 2012

The UN day of the Girl Child

Today, October 11th, is the UN Day of the Girl Child. I think about all the amazing young womyn I know - and I am SO completely thankful for them. For their sparkle, their creativity, their passion, their enthusiasm, for all they teach me - all the time! Some samples, you ask? Ok!


the mini-Cheryl - so much fun

my awesome, spunky niece, rockin' out Aunty Carly's glasses. 
Girls are awesome. They're brave. They're creative. They're fun. They are changing the world.

There is all this documentation like what you'd see in the Girl Effect about how ensuring education and inclusion for girls creates a ripple effect in positive change in society - but then you read the news and what sorts of things do we encounter? Things like the story of Malala Yousafzai who is young wommon who is advocating for education for womyn and girls and has been threatened and recently shot for her advocacy. 

If you happen to see this before 7 - the International Centre at the UofA is hosting a video screening of the film, "It's a Girl". It's about how those words, while I hope are words of celebration for many - for some, is still a death sentence, discussing about the infanticide of girl-children. 

So - today is the UN Day of the Girl Child, and while there are many reasons to celebrate, there's still a long way to go. There are so many organizations, both locally and internationally that are working to support the well being of girls. Maybe today is a good day to look into them. My heart hurts for all in the world that isn't quite up to snuff yet, but wow am I thankful for all the people I know contributing to fixing it.

Peace to you~ 


1 comment:

  1. It is truly heart breaking how far we have to go.
    Thanks for including my gorgeous girl in your list!

    ReplyDelete