Friday, November 5, 2010

Evacuation

day two -
Costa Rica has declared a state of emergency as the rain keeps on coming down. All the rain is being caused by hurricane Tomas - which is on its way to Haiti. I hope that it is gentler with Haiti, I feel that country could really use a break.

Today we actually went back to school - which was a bit surprising. The road up to the campus keeps suffering landslides, but it was mostly clear this morning. We travel by caravan - and there are all sorts of UPeace staff along the way - monitoring the road and giving updates.





Class ended - and we were sent on home. No lingering. The rain continues to pour down leading to my daily adventure. They keep clearing the road, although many other places near here have suffered much worse impacts of landslides. About 20 minutes from here landslides have killed many people, and others are still missing.

My adventure for the evenings begins as I have now been evacuated. Houses which are near to the river in Ciudad Colon (my town) have been asked to vacate as there is a threat that the damn upstream will not withstand this much rain. It is just a precaution and my friend Colette has generously taken me in. I am hoping that the rain will stop this evening sometime and I will be able to return home tomorrow. I feel very thankful that I am somewhere safe and dry - and send my prayers to those who are not yet.

I hope this finds you also safe, dry and happy.
Peace to you.
diana

No comments:

Post a Comment